Saturday, December 13, 2014

(The Real) First Topcoat Application

December 13, 2014


I was eager to get the first application of topcoat sanded and to apply the second coat.  The first application of topcoat was doomed to failure due to the fact that I hadn't used enough reducer, and as a result the paint did not flow out and lay down.  With a new recipe designed to improve the paint's performance, I set out to sand and generally prep the surface for another coat of the Alexseal topcoat. I began with a rather aggressive sanding with 220-grit paper in order to remove the imperfections of the prior paint application.  I set up a second portable work light to improve my ability to spot the areas on the hull requiring further attention.  A slow and methodical walk around the boat revealed a few areas needing additional spot-sanding work.  At the conclusion of the sanding, I vacuumed the majority of the sanding dust and, as is my usual practice, I wiped the hull clean with a solvent to remove any remaining sanding residue. 


In the workshop, I mixed a new batch of the Alexseal Premium Topcoat 501 (Oyster White) with the new reducer ratio of 33%.  The new recipe:  5oz base, 2.5oz converter, and 2.5oz reducer.  After waiting the 15 minute induction time, I then applied the paint with a solvent resistant foam roller.  The paint's flow performance was dramatically improved.  Since I had sanded so aggressively to remove the first topcoat problem areas, I considered this application to the first of 3 coats of finish paint to be applied. As can be seen below, the application shows tremendous results. 


Even with the substantial improvement in paint performance for this round, I think that I may push the reducer ratio to perhaps 38 to 40%...I'm likely walking a fine line here on lay down versus sag performance; however, I won't hesitate in taking off a coat application with sanding to get the results I am looking for and that the owner is looking for.




Total Time: 1.5 Hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment