Sunday, December 7, 2014

First Finish Coat

December 7, 2014

Wanting to at least experiment with the Alexseal topcoat paint,  I made a point to get to the first topcoat in less than ideal conditions.  Even with cooler temperatures, the relative humidity was a bit higher than I would of liked; and made working with this paint even more challenging as it was my first experience with it.  Even so, I pushed forward knowing that sandpaper lay waiting for me regardless.  I started by sanding the last coat of primer with 220-grit paper as I had done the previous rounds.  With the sanding complete, I then vacuumed the surfaces and followed with a solvent wipe down to remove any lingering trace of surface contamination.


Prior to wiping the surface down, I did go ahead and mix the topcoat paint.  The ratio for rolling and tipping is 2 parts base, 1 part converter, and between 16.5% and 33% of that volume thinned with reducer.  I began this round at 6oz base, 3oz converter, and ~2oz reducer.  While the paint was in its induction period (15 minutes), I solvent-washed the hull...and switched on the iRadio Reggae station.


I rolled on this first coat, more interested in watching the lay-down characteristics of the paint.  I finished with a bit more than I had needed for this first round.  There were a lot of take-aways from this first round of topcoat.


The most significant take-away from this experimental coat was that I needed a bit more reducer in my recipe.  The paint was not laying out as quickly as I wanted it to, and as a result cured with some imperfections.  I mixed a bit too much paint, as I mentioned above, so this will be addressed.  Also, my lighting needs some improvement, and I will set up a few more work lights for the next round of topcoat.




Total Time: 1 Hr.





No comments:

Post a Comment