Sunday, November 30, 2014

First Coat of Primer

November 30, 2014

The goal for the day was to get the first coat of primer on, but before I could get started with that I needed to sand and fair the previous day's fill.  In moving the boat under the porch I had spotted a few areas on the hull that I wasn't comfortable leaving to the finish primer; and since I would not be using high-build primer on this project, I thought it best to fill and fair one last time.  I hit the areas requiring attention with a light 80-grit pass by hand, and then proceeded to work the balance of the boat with 80-grit paper on a flex-pad. 



After vacuuming most the sanding dust, I wiped the surfaces with a solvent to remove the balance of the residue from sanding.


After cleaning the surface with solvent, I moved to taping off the two areas that needed protection: the centerboard and the bow eye.


The centerboard;


the bow eye.


The primer and paint being used in this dinghy restoration is Alexseal - high-quality coatings for the marine environment.  The primer being used is the Alexseal 442 finish primer, and will be laid on for a total of three coats.  I will eventually follow with an Alexseal topcoat product....more to come.


I laid on the first coat of primer with a high-density roller with good performance out the primer.  I will move on to the second coat in a couple days. 



Total Time: 2.75 Hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment