Monday, September 29, 2014

Finishing the Brightwork


For Monday, September 29th, I set out to put the finishing touches on the brightwork: trimming the aft portions of the rub rails, easing the tops and bottoms of the rails to achieve a round over, and then sanding all surfaces through 220 grit on the finish sander.  Using a coping saw and following the marks I had made while the rub rails were in their dry fit position on the boat, I removed the extra length at the aft ends of both rails.  I them eased the angles by sanding. 

Next, I eased all 90 degree angles with a round over sanded into the rails.  This would ensure a comfortable grip when moving the dinghy or when bracing while sailing / rowing.  Finally, I sanded all remaining surfaces through 220 grit with the VS finish sander...and old fashioned elbow grease.  In addition to the rails, I finish sanded (through 220 grit) the bow thwart, aft port and starboard thwarts, transom accents, and interior transom rail.


Top and bottom, various views of the rails finish sanded through 220 grit.


Below, the aft port and starboard rub rails with extra length trimmed and finished sanded through 220 grit.



Total Time: 3 Hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment