Sunday, July 20, 2014

Port Aft Thwart

I set aside a couple hours on Sunday (7/20) to work on the port stern thwart.  I started with a scrap of cardboard and traced the sheer line onto it.  While I was at it, I went ahead and prepared a template for the starboard side as well; though my attention was devoted to the thwart on the port side today.


 Next, I carefully trimmed along the outline of the sheer...


...and took it to the boat to test its fit.


I then removed a piece of teak from a 5/4 board for the thwart, and jointed one of the sides.


With one of the sides of the teak board jointed, I transferred the outline of thwart from the template onto the teak board.



With the basic outline of the thwart transferred onto the teak, I trimmed excess material from the board.


The angle of the boat's stern meant that I would need to remove material from the underside of the thwart in order to achieve a gap-free fit.  Using a bezel, I took the angle of the stern and transferred it to the thwart block.  On the table saw, I rotated the saw blade to replicate the required angle and then trimmed the block.


The balance of the time allotted for today was spent hand-shaping the oversized block until its aft corner fit nicely into its soon-to-be home.  The port sheer and stern surfaces provided a complex set of angles to incorporate into the block, and took most of the time to deal with.  This was as far as I got with it today, and during my next opportunity to work on this port thwart I would layout its interior shape - the more stylistic aspect of the thwart. 



Total Time: 2.5 Hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment